For the Meat Stock
- 2.5 lbs fatty lamb or beef on the bone, like beef or lamb shank, or a leg of lamb
- 1–2 large onions, cut into big chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp of black peppercorns
- Pinch of salt
- 5 cloves of garlic, bashed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the Pasta
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
For the Beef Saute
- 2–3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Handful of chopped parsley
- Handful of chopped chives
Step 1: Prepare the Meat
- Place the meat pieces in a pan and cover well with water.
- Add the onions, bay leaves, black peppercorns, bashed garlic cloves and salt.
- Cook until the meat is tender enough to fall off the bone. This should take 2-3 hours on the stovetop, 40 minutes in a pressure cooker, or about 8 hours in a slow cooker .
Step 2: Prepare the Pasta Dough
- Mound the flour onto a work surface and make a well in the center.
- Add in the beaten eggs, olive oil, water and salt.
- Mix with your fingers until the dough comes together into a ball, sprinkling water to moisten the dough as needed.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Wrap with cling film and leave to rest for an hour.
- Cut the dough into workable portions and roll into 2mm thickness.
- Cut into 2-inch squares.
Step 3: Remove and Carve Beef; Cook the Pasta Squares
- Once tender, take the beef out of the pot and set on a colander to dry out any excess moisture.
- Carve into thin slices.
- Boil prepared pasta squares in the beef stock for 10-12 minutes. Drain.
Step 4: Sauté the Beef
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté until aromatic. Do not brown.
- Add beef slices and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Step 5: Serve up the besbarmak
- In the same pan, toss in cooked pasta.
- Arrange pasta on a serving plate and top with beef.
- Garnish with chopped chives or parsley.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 3 hours
Keywords: Pasta, meat pasta, cheesy pasta