For the Slow Cooker:
- 500g pork ribs, cut into serving portion sizes
- 500g pork hocks, cut into serving portion sizes
- 500g beef brisket, cut into serving portion sizes
- 250g chorizo, sliced into about 1/2– 1” pieces
- 1.5 cups dried black beans
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 5 pieces bay leaf
- 1 piece orange, quartered
- 1/2 cup vodka
For the Black Bean Puree:
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup of cooked black beans and cooking liquid (same beans as above, this is using them again after they have cooked)
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
- Rinse the dried black beans and soak them in cold water for at least 6 hours. We recommend soaking the bean the night before you want to make this dish.
- Cut your pork ribs, pork hocks and beef brisket into serving portion sizes. You want pieces large enough that will hold up under 8 hours of slow cooking. You can get help from your butcher with this step!
- Slice your chorizo into about 1/2 – 1″ pieces
- Chop your cilantro and green onions (you will chop the garlic and onion after everything cooks)
Step 2: Assemble Ingredients in the Slow Cooker
- Combine the pork ribs, pork hocks, beef brisket, chorizo, soaked beans, vodka, oranges, cilantro, green onions, and bay leaves in the slow cooker . (Keep you chopped onions and garlic off to the side for
- Add just enough water to get everything fully submerged
- Set the slow cooker to cook on low, and let it do its thing for about 8 hours!
Step 3: Black Bean Puree
- You may need to shift things around a little in the slow cooker , but you want to take about a cup of cooked black beans and cooking liquid from the pot.
- You will then use a blender, hand blender or food process to make a puree out of those cooked blacked beans and cooking liquid. It shouldn’t take long to blend together – look for a thick, smooth consistency.
- Chop your onion and garlic.
- In a large sautee pan over medium heat, add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add your chopped onions and garlic and sautee until soft and transparent (not brown). Then add your black bean puree and stir for a minute.
- Now, you are going to add this sauteed onion-garlic black bean puree back into the slow cooker and let this continue to cook for another 20 minutes or so.
- Season with salt if needed, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 8 hours
Keywords: Stew bean, pork and beans, black bean and pork